Monday, August 11, 2008

Wonder of Wonders

My son, who for so long could not bear to get his face or hair wet in a pool, jumped off the diving board at our town pool last week, on Wednesday, August 6th, to be precise, sometime after 6p.m. After watching other kids on the diving board, Noah asked if he could jump too. I said that he could. So Noah waited his turn on line, climbed the ladder, walked out to the end of the diving board, and then said, "It's too high." So I told Noah to climb back down. And he did.

A minute or so later, Noah asked if he could go again. I said that he could, but that this time, he had to jump. AND HE DID!! I cannot begin to describe the blended look of joy, pride and triumph that erupted on Noah's face. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. And once the deed was done, there was no stopping Noah. He jumped again and again, until the pool closed at 7p.m. It was simply magical. I'm so proud of him I could scream. And more than that, I am positively in awe of a child who finds ways to overcome so much, including his own discomforts and fears, and in the process risks more, learns more and does more than I could ever hope to in ten lifetimes.

No comments: